Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Still Hanging On!

I've lost track of weeks, but I figured if I'm not technically on my original plan, it doesn't really matter until I'm back on it again. When I am back on it, y'all will be the first to know.

So here's the deal with school:
I've completed my first written exam in my major field. The next written exam is scheduled for next Monday and is based on fewer books (than the 15 for my major), but I will also have only 2 hours this test instead of 3. I talked with the professor last Friday and we seem to be on the same page as far as themes for questions and that type of deal. So hopefully no surprises there.

However, I'm still in the process of editing my paper, but I haven't received any other comments since I turned it in 2 weeks ago. That could put a damper in my scheduling. I'm trying to have everything done by April 23 (a week from Friday) which will have me finishing the paper this weekend (if I get it back) as well as studying for my last written exam on Monday and then scheduling my Oral Exam for next Thursday (April 22). April 23 is the deadline to turn everything in to the graduate school in order to graduate on May 8. If I miss it by a week, then I graduate on July 31, but at least everything will be done. For now, I'm trying my hardest to hit the deadline for May graduation. If the paper needs more extensive revisions, or if anything else comes up, then I can just move everything back, which won't really matter in any way except the day I dress in a black robe and walk across the stage - and I guess the job thing as well, but I'm hoping to be long gone by September (if I graduate in May) or October (if I graduate in July). I'm already looking for jobs and applying.

What does all of this mean for Weight Loss?

With everything going on, I have to be honest and say Diet and Exercise have not been at the top of my list of things to do. However, I've done a fair job at keeping things balanced.

EXERCISE

I have gone a couple of times to run with my friend Carla. She's good about running regularly, so she totally kicked my ass, but she showed me a good park to go to that's close by. By the way, it's been WONDERFUL running in this weather. I really need to work on my breathing. She was giving me pointers on how to breath in your nose and out your mouth and trying to give me a good count to breath to so I'm not huffing and puffing. I kind of choked and gagged a few times (really embarrassing) and plan to spend some more time on the elliptical in order to work on that. I did go run on the elliptical on Monday. That was excellent. I'm getting to the point where I'm having to talk myself back into coming to the gym again, whereas I couldn't wait before I fell back into this schoolwork slump. I think once schoolwork is done with, it will be much easier. I really need to follow y'all's advice from last time and go early in the morning before work.

DIET

This is the area I've been better about. Yes, I have slipped up and gotten Zaxby's once, a McDonald's chicken biscuit once, and maybe did some shameful things to some publix cookies (like put icing on them---but it was icing half-made with Splenda!), but each one of these taught me a valuable lesson. Zaxby's gives me stomach aches now - yay! And McDonald's just made me feel bloated later, which is something I can hold on to the next time I feel like I want a chicken biscuit. As for the cookies, they just gave me the same sugar rush I always used to get with them. No new lessons there. God I love cookies and icing. But that spree is over with and behind me now.

And then there was Easter candy. I don't want to talk about that, though. Everyone knows it's good and everyone knows I'm a sucker, but like the cookies, I had my fill and have now moved on. The end.

On some good notes, I've found some new yummy treats that are healthy:

The best deal around D-ville is the $1.50 lb of frozen ground turkey at publix. The whole tube is 11 grams of fat and under 500 calories, but you never eat the whole pound, you know? Lately, I've combined the turkey with some Manwich (also a good deal--AND healthy!) and eating some sloppy joes on whole wheat bread and low fat cheese. YUM. Very flavorful for such fewer calories...and cheap! And as for the frozen ground turkey, they also sell frozen ground turkey sausage for $2.00 a pound. This is really good with some egg beaters for breakfast in the mornings or some cheese dip or anything you could possibly want to make lower in fat. Two thumbs up!

Something else I've discovered and proclaimed to everyone on facebook. Starbucks makes frappaccino with Splenda now and they are 100 calories, 3 grams of fat and 12 carbs. Price is the only disappointing side, though they were on sale last week at Kroger. Hail to the Starbucks.

And lastly, Betty Crocker's Warm Delights were brought to my attention a couple of weeks ago. These are those bowls that you mix water in it and put it in the microwave for 30 seconds and you have dessert. They are soooo, good! Come to find out, they also come in a mini-size. So you get your dose of sweet goodness without overdoing it. And the BEST part is: inside the packaging for the minis is a COUPON! SCORE! 75cents off when you buy 2 more. I know this is benefiting the company, but I will gladly do what they say. Those cakes are so yummy and they make me feel like I'm saving money. Basically, I am a slave to Betty Crocker....much like I am Starbucks now that my one reason for staying away is gone.


So that's it! That's what I've been living off of and trying to make the best of things. I don't think I'm gaining weight and if I have, it's not been much. My stretch marks are still going away with lots o' lotion, and some of my pants are still fairly loose on me. What is for certain is that I haven't been losing any weight at all, and I know this is because of my lack of commitment to my diet as well as no consistent workout schedule. On average, I've been working out once a week. That's definitely not good enough, and I plan to do better, but I just have a week or two before all this school work is FINALLY behind me and so I think I can last just a little longer with simply maintaining. But after the requirements are finished for the degree, it is on like DONKEY KONG to get looking good for bathing suit season and my family beach trip. I don't want people to feel compelled to drape nets around me and try and pull me back out to sea while I'm tanning.

I'll try and keep everyone posted on school progress, but between now and next week, it will be a very tight squeeze, so forgive me if I fall behind again these next 2 weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lindsay,

    I just wanted to tell you not to beat yourself up over not getting to exercise as much w/ your school work taking up so much of your time... so you have to take 2 weeks off... who cares?! It's not going to set you back as much as you think... Get your school work done, and then just make up for it after that... Good luck on all of your tests and papers!!! :)

    ReplyDelete